Upcoming event sponsored by:
Welcome to our online resource center
documenting, honoring and encouraging
peace, justice, and nonviolent social change
around the world ( and right here at home, too! ).
Waging Peace: Global Adventures of a Lifelong Activist
Authors: David Hartsough with Joyce Hollyday • Foreword by John Dear Introduction by George Lakey • Afterword by Ken Butigan Publisher: PM Press — ISBN: 978-1-62963-034-2 Paperback — $20.00
Signed copies available now from Peaceworkers (postage included) for a sliding-scale price of $20 to $25. Peaceworkers, 721 Shrader St., San Francisco, CA 94117
David Hartsough knows how to get in the way! He has used his body to block Navy ships headed for Vietnam and trains loaded with munitions on their way to El Salvador and Nicaragua. He has crossed borders to meet “the enemy” in East Berlin, Castro’s Cuba, and present-day Iran. He has marched with mothers confronting a violent regime in Guatemala and stood with refugees threatened by death squads in the Philippines.
Waging Peace is a testament to the difference one person can make. Hartsough’s stories inspire, educate, and encourage readers to find ways to work for a more just and peaceful world. Inspired by the examples of Mahatma Gandhi and Martin Luther King Jr., Hartsough has spent his life experimenting with the power of active nonviolence. It is the story of one man’s effort to live as though we were all brothers and sisters. read more
INTRODUCING PEACEWORKERS USA
We live in a world deeply addicted to violence and war, resulting in tremendous devastation to human life, the natural environment and the hopes and dreams of future generations. The danger of nuclear war threatens the very existence of life on this planet. In the face of all this fear and destruction, millions of people around the world are experimenting with powerful and effective nonviolent tools to break the rules of war. They are building nonviolent movements to challenge and change violent and oppressive conditions and regimes, and laying the groundwork for a just and lasting peace These movements have taken place all over the world, with inspiring examples from Chile, South Africa, Serbia, the Ukraine, Georgia, India, China, Burma, Tibet, Zimbabwe, and the United States. We, the world’s people, need to learn more about these lessons and join together to foster more of these successful nonviolent responses to the world’s most pressing challenges.
The mission of Peaceworkers is to support, strengthen and promote nonviolent movements for peace and justice and nonviolent peacemaking efforts in the US and around the world
In carrying out this mission, Peaceworkers is
1. Consulting with and building relationships among nonviolent movements as they work to change violent or oppressive situations through peaceful means.
2. Spreading the word about the growing experience and success of nonviolent movements and nonviolent peacemaking through public presentations, media outreach, workshops and written publications. Click here for the Peaceworkers’ Reading List
3. Providing resources about the power of active nonviolent movements and People Power in history by distributing DVDs, books, journals, articles, and training materials.
4. Promoting the work of peace team organizations around the world including the Nonviolent Peaceforce, Peace Brigades International, Christian Peacemaker Teams and Friends Peace Teams. Please click here for a story about our participation in a peace delegation to Iran.
5. Encouraging and facilitating regional and world bodies, including the United Nations, to institutionalize and sponsor nonviolent peacemaking, peace-building, and peacekeeping.
Recent Documents and Evolving News Stories:
- Proposal to End All War — David Swanson and David Hartsough
- Peaceworkers Jeju Island Resource Guide
- Randy Kehler: Personal Reflections on the State of the World
- January 2013 — Peaceworkers Report from the Front Lines
- Israeli forces fire on Gaza Farmers and Internationals in Khuza’a
- Following the UN vote, the Dalu family calls for the International Criminal Court to investigate Israel
- David Hartsough’s Statement Protesting Drone Attacks
- OCCUPY! Protesters Speak Out Against Endless War and Reckless Greed